First of all, let me start by saying that if you have not read the Hunger Games: do it. Now. Second, this post will contain some spoilers so you may not want to continue reading. A friend told me about it ages ago. I thought about reading it and never got around to it. A few weeks ago, another friend suggested I read it. Again, I was intrigued by the idea but just didn't have time to read it. Then I saw the trailer. I was captivated. So I borrowed the book from a friend and began reading. Captivated barely begins to cover it. I immediately fell in love with the main character, the narrator, Katniss Everdeen. She was very much a child who had been brutally forced into an adult world. The death of her father was merely the beginning of Katniss' early adulthood. When the always cheerful Effie Trinket pulls out Primrose Everdeen's name from the reaping ball, there is only one choice for Katniss. This is merely the start of a beautiful, heart felt, heart breaking, and eerily realistic story. THIS IS WHERE THE SPOILERS START.
Okay, so everyone cries when Katniss takes her sister's place in the games. Everyone cries when Rue dies. Everyone's heart stops for a moment when she pulls out those berries. The book is riddled with moments like this. But on page 347 of Mockingjay, I became so stunned, so floored, I couldn't even turn the page. My heart stopped. And we all thought it. Everyone who had come to that point. Don't deny it. You read it, and your first thought was "Katniss failed." Because let's be honest with ourselves. She never set out to start a revolution. She never set out to fall in love with a boy, or to save his life. She stepped up, she spoke those fateful words, for one reason and one reason only. To save Prim. To keep her sister safe. To hide her for a little while longer from the evil grasp of the Capitol. And she failed, because Prim was turned into a human torch right in front of Katniss's own eyes. Everything she had set out to do had failed. This is where we all wondered: Was it worth it? Was the revolution worth it? The cost was oh so very high. But did the end make up for it in some way? I'm very curious to know your thoughts about this. And I wanna read the book. The book Katniss, Peeta, and Haymitch wrote. It would be wonderful it could be published for the general public to read.
No comments:
Post a Comment